Dropped My Zed

It Beats me how the most expensive detector made for our use is Made of such Brittle Plastic and breaks into pieces is beyond me, If this happened 5 or 10 years from now the blame could be put down to aging but this is just Crazy, Over here the ZED costs 16,600 AUD or 13,416 USD.

I don't think I would be quite as Patient with Minelab.

Crazy when you think about it, as Klunker has pointed out the plastic of chainsaws, why I`ve a lektric drill I purchased back as a apprentice, plastic housing, fallen off roofs etc etc, 45 plus years old. Had the brushes changed a few times, lots of scratches & gouges on  plastic housing but still a goer. Guess the 7000 doesn`t need to last that long...... but still !!!!!!

Crazy when you think about it, as Klunker has pointed out the plastic of chainsaws, why I`ve a lektric drill I purchased back as a apprentice, plastic housing, fallen off roofs etc etc, 45 plus years old. Had the brushes changed a few times, lots of scratches & gouges on  plastic housing but still a goer. Guess the 7000 doesn`t need to last that long...... but still !!!!!!

Yep, I would have thought that seeing as its soul purpose is to be used in Rough Surroundings That the covers would be made more flexible.

The GPZ housing saw years of use from thousands of users worldwide as the CTX 3030. It is not exactly an untested design. The cost to develop that housing system was probably one of the biggest expenditures in a detector housing ever undertaken. Only units like the ATX or SDC would have comparable costs.

The idea it is a brittle design falling apart on users everywhere is a stretch.

The GPZ housing saw years of use from thousands of users worldwide as the CTX 3030. It is not exactly an untested design. The cost to develop that housing system was probably one of the biggest expenditures in a detector housing ever undertaken. Only units like the ATX or SDC would have comparable costs.

The idea it is a brittle design falling apart on users everywhere is a stretch.

Mind you, It most Likely weighs a bit more than the CTX and was perfect for the intended purpose, I would not run my machines without covers on anyway and the good thing about that is it adds weight to the top end of the machine so it helps a little with the Balance,

John

The thing is, I put exponentially more wear and tear on my gold machines than I ever did on any of my coin/relic machines and the environments are generally different too - for every blade of grass a CTX sees the GPZ will see a jagged rock. So I'm not sure how far we could extend CTX field testing to a nugget machine except in very causal use cases.

But Minelab is pricing and pushing the machine to serious/full time users so IMO they'd do well to listen to every bit of criticism on this issue.

*To remain constructive, this is what I think should have been done: Carbon fiber any place it didn't interfere with the detector, an OEM cover provided, rubberized coating at any contact/stress point, and Gorilla Glass on the screen. Really nothing you wouldn't expect of a $500-600 phone or tablet built for rugged outdoor use.

• Like 4