Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

Well, I started my beach season a little bit early. Hunt #1… It’s been a while since I got out, so I decided to try a very small beach that I’ve done before. It usually produces some Buffalo nickels, and sometimes some silver, although not in any quantity. I split the time between the GPX and Manticore using the GPX for the upper beach and wet slope, and the Manticore for the low tide area, as well as the wet slope. I’m most comfortable using the GPX on beaches due to the fact that it doesn’t struggle with the changing sand composition or the wetness of the sand. The Manticore takes more adjusting to keep it getting the same signal width. I had to adjust the recovery speed from 6 to 4 depending on which section I was hunting. I spent about 8 hours hunting and did fairly well. 2 silver coins and a silver ring were the best finds. A bunch of change with a decent amount of wheat cents, made for a good day. I thought I was going to be detecting most of the day in rain and some thunder, but fortunately it never ever rained on my parade!!. Great to get out and start detecting a new beach season. I’m also about to start a King Philip’s war project 2x a week, so I go from not detecting for months to detecting 3x a week. 😮 I can feel the soreness already. 😊

20230831_150009.jpg

20230831_145139.jpg

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That's a Good haul on the silver!

I would be down for a few days with 8 hours and that many targets dug..🏴‍☠️

Thanks. I'm happy to get any silver from such a small beach.  When I was a young lad 😄, I could jump out of bed the next day and do it all over again, like it never happened. These days I just want a nice, easy, slow day the following morning. 😶

1 hour ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Good digging hardnox! you will have popeye arms in no time. 😁 

As long as I don't have to take olive oyl too. 😲. Actually I enjoy the long hunts and I just take it easy the next day. After a while I'll get back into shape. I'm just out of practice. I got a feeling here in New England we are going to have a cold winter. That I will not enjoy one bit. 🙄

It's always impressive finds photos on your beach hunts , you Son of the Beach !🏴‍☠️

Decent silver for a hunt (thank you manticore, here's your biscuit)  and 8 hours  arrrrrgh  ! If I go out for more than 2 hours my elbows really feel it next day !  Did 3 today .LOL   

I don't know about you but I can't wait for winter,,,,,to be over !🌴👍  

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

It's always impressive finds photos on your beach hunts , you Son of the Beach !🏴‍☠️

Decent silver for a hunt (thank you manticore, here's your biscuit)  and 8 hours  arrrrrgh  ! If I go out for more than 2 hours my elbows really feel it next day !  Did 3 today .LOL   

I don't know about you but I can't wait for winter,,,,,to be over !🌴👍  

Son of a beach that's priceless Popeye!

Great hunting with both machines with a decent ratio of good versus bad.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

Nice hunt. Glad to see you back! The thing I dislike the most is the bad muscle cramps after 6-8 hours of digging, I guess it's part of aging. It gets better for me when I can get out more to the farms. A capful of vinegar in a few ounces of water stops them immediately.

Is there a way to get the black off silver? You find so much of it I would guess it a chore. 🤔