Who Makes The X-coils? Who Sells Them?

The detector industry has a long history with dishonest ads posing as "reviews". And I know it's still happening because I've been approached by companies to do the same thing in the past and declined. This is real, this happens, and it causes people to be suspicious, rightly so. Anything that bends when exposed to truth should probably break, IMO. Products that can stand on their own will rise above that fray, just like the GPZ did after the dust settled.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

What was most interesting was his comment about the performance feedback coming in from early adopters using these coils, he and I were very surprised by the performance comments because the traditional wound coils are not really any better performance wise than the Minelab coils except for size and shape, so he, and I agree, have put the improvements down to the size options difference.

I'm going to put that very issue to test when I receive my coils. I have a spiral 12" and a spiral 17" coming which I bought (and a 10" normal wound which I will address in a moment) and I will compare all to the Z14. Obviously direct comparisons are not possible due to size difference, but if for instance the 12" is outperforming the Z14 on depth for nuggets over 1 gram, well then that says something to me, same as if the 17" outperforms the Z14 on nuggets under 1 gram. Data can be measured, it's how its interpreted that often matters to us. 

Anyone is free to suggest to me things they would like to be tested - lookie loos, customers, manufacturer, competing product reps. Ultimately I will decide what I test though and how I conduct them.

Disclosure: I was bemoaning my lack of cash to buy a normal wound coil to test against the spiral wounds on this forum. So, X Coils sent me a normal wound 10" also to compare to the spiral, with a clear statement that I was in no way required to say anything good or bad and I could do what I choose with the coil. I am not required to write anything for them to use on their social media (like a well known detector company wanted me to do, for instance). And for the record, I have been approached in the past by 9 companies who wanted to send me a free product to use (from detectors to magnets to UV flashlights), all of which I have declined because they did not want to agree to my caveats that I could do and say as I please with the product. In this case, I didn't even have to bring it up, X Coils just said flatout there were no expectations. So, there is that. Seeing as I've been one of the more critical voices asking questions, it says something to me they are willing to let their product stand on its own, so I will see if it does. I have no relation to any manufacturer or dealer and I do not sell anything myself, the only thing I do is detect for gold and make videos and I do 99% of that alone. 

I believe this sort of disclosure should be sentence #1 in every review. Steve requires dealers to provide their real name in their signatures here, presumably so we can know who is a dealer and judge wether their posts may have economic interest or double as ads. It's not unreasonable for reviewers or testers to also disclose product relationships when they are using social media to promote their review (forums are social media BTW). If any reviewer/tester is offended by that, then I would politely suggest they reconsider doing public reviews and tests.

If you post something public on the internet you open yourself to criticism and yes - trolls. I wake up to 2 insults on my phone, I see 2 more by lunch, and I go to sleep with 2 new ones. Every day. Just for sharing my personal nugget digs. It's the reality of the internet, I just ignore it. It's certainly not a reason to decline to hold reviewers to a minimum set of standards that all product reviewers in any product sector in the world should be held to.

Going back in the 80s, I`d just spent a few very successful  days in deep (for that era) ground with a Dtek 14" Concentric on an A2B, anyway that night decided to attend the van parks nightly sit around the camp fire and share my opinion of this coil. Announced that I`d had good success with the newly purchased Dtek coil, was asked by one patronising individual to show or no believe, I just answered I don`t show. Said individual then started talking of his experiences and generally shouted me down. No skin off my nose as the weight in the pocket was real, but first and last time I bothered with such gatherings. 

It is for this reason I asked Steve a few weeks back to consider including coil reviews whether positive or negative in the Detector review database, to just simply allow people to judge quietly and as said before we are all over 12 thus can make our own minds up. I`ve given my opinions on the X coils as a private individual, each one I have once, Steve has removed the nuisance posts from my thread as I requested, because that is what DP is about, I`m happy with that, and will keep on reviewing on DP.

Whoops Jasong has replied, but I`ll send, keen as to see Jasongs review.

Flak, I haven't made a patch lead yet, my coils are still in transit from Russia. I'll make the patch once they get here and I know I have them in possession before cutting the cord. I have all the materials though.

The connectors are (or were) available off Amazon for anyone out there like myself in the middle of the boonies.

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Since several people all seem determined to ignore several other people or variously have problems with what others are posting then read this...

How To Ignore Users On The Forum

Steve I'm a big believer in democracy. I'm more than happy to put 'Leave' or 'Stay' to the vote and let readers decide if they like or dislike my forum presence. A 'Leave'would sure save me a lot of time and you a lot of editing of posts and others the need for blocking.

JP

When posts are pushing the discussion forward and don't get personal, nasty or pissy, they work for me. This topic has attracted a wide band of experience and a whole bunch of opinions - which means it's potentially volatile. I pay attention to this forum to learn a lot and contribute a little. The wording in posts is everything. I would hate to lose the educational value that comes along with tough subjects like this just  because someone decides to get personal. These days we have Facebook and Twitter for that stuff.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Steve I'm a big believer in democracy. I'm more than happy to put 'Leave' or 'Stay' to the vote and let readers decide if they like or dislike my forum presence. A 'Leave'would sure save me a lot of time and you a lot of editing of posts and others the need for blocking.

JP

Opinions in a democracy should be fostered.  Silencing an opinion about how and why a product works with voting is a misuse of democracy.  No one has demonstrated a misrepresentation but instead has focused on different standards of performance.  I'm sure we are all soon going to be tired of the subject and will move on to the next Minelab innovation, leaving this topic behind.

I vote we don't take a vote!  haha

Guest AussieDigs
3 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

JP

No Jonathan thats not how it works!

If someone has an issue with a post of yours posted within the guidlines of a particular forum, its just that.....their issue. They have choices. They dont have to read it,  they can place you in their ignore list.

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I vote we don't take a vote!  haha

I agree.   

I'm here for knowledge sharing and I value all contributors reviewing/helping/suggesting about all sorts of prospecting related issues as long as they are coming from the angle of trying to help fellow prospectors.  

It can be terribly hard to gauge intent from the written word.  As childish as emojis may seem I often use them simply to try and ensure that what I am writing is not read with the wrong intent. 

I value your knowledge and contributions JP and I think we would all be worse off for you leaving.  

Onward and upward  ✈️  ?‍♂️  ?